Thursday, September 4, 2008

Special Needs Moms; we have a friend in Sarah Palin

For me, a special needs mother, listening to Sarah Palin's acceptance speech at the Republican Convention; THIS was the takeaway line of the night:
"Last April, we were blessed in my family with a baby boy. Sometimes our greatest blessings are also our greatest challenges. (HUGE OVATION, everyone focused on adorable Trig sleeping in Daddy's arms) For Special Needs Parents: For years you have been working to make the world a more welcoming place for your children. I promise you, that if we win, you will have a friend, an advocate in the White House". (BIG OVATION)
Sarah had reached through the TV screen and grabbed my heart! I have been working so hard these two years, since I met Senator Sam Brownback, supporting the "Prenatally Diagnosed Conditions Awareness Act" only to see it tossed into the mix for partisan bickering. Now, I know that if Sarah Palin is elected, legislation like this will be taken seriously, and maybe, just maybe, the scandalous persecution of unborn babies with conditions like Down syndrome, aborted at a rate of 90% will end.
For this position alone, Sarah Palin has earned my full support. What kind of superpower are we, the wealthiest nation on earth, who had no room for the special needs child?
You can always judge a society by how it treats its weakest members. Thanks to Sarah Palin, the USA may emerge from this grave violation of civil rights, and once again like in the 1960's, give human rights to an overlooked segment of our population.

5 comments:

Christina Dunigan said...

One of the first things I said when McCain announced Palin was, "I bet the Brownback/Kennedy Bill gets fast-tracked in January!"

Anonymous said...

You said it. I didn't catch the speech last night, but read the highlights on-line. When I saw that bit, I started to cry. My son is autistic, and my biggest prayer for him is that others will accept and respect him as he is (because he has many gifts and talents to offer this world), not try to force him to be "normal." The more I read about Sarah Palin, the more I like her.

Anonymous said...

I'm on cloud 9! I love Sarah Palin!!

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I got so excited as I saw where she was going in that section of her powerful speech. I said to my husband, "I can't wait to see what Leticia is going to say about this!" She has brought this topic to the presidential platform for public discussion at long last.

Teresa Cody said...

We, at Changing Minds Foundation, couldn't be happier at Sarah Palin's speech and stand on pro-life. Our children with Down syndrome deserve additional research funds for treatment. Please go to our website: www.changingmindsfoundation.org and see how treatment is changing the lives of many children already. We know there is no cure for an extra chromosome however we also know that the symptoms are being treated. We ask for your support. Additional research is needed - Stanford University is very close to another breakthrough. Please look at the website and view the trailer of a documentary that has recently been filmed about this protocol. It's really amazing.