Sunday, October 26, 2008

Trip to Indian Leap Falls in Yantic, CT





























Franciso saw the falls on Google Earth, and we went on a quest to find the park. It is hidden away next to Norwich, but worth the search to find the tiny sign that points out the park.



Legend has it that there was a battle in the 1600's between Mohegan and Naragansett tribes, and when some of their braves were cornered by the Mohegan's on a high cliff, over a cavernous river, they leapt trying to reach safety, and fell to their deaths. Thus the name; Indian Leap. Such a sad story for a beautiful place. Next English settlers built grist mills, then cotton mills using the powerful falls for power.







3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wow, we don't have scenery like that down here in Texas. Amazing! You can't see landscapes like that an not appreciate God's glory!

Hey, pop on over to my site, I am having 3 give-aways in honor of Down Syndrome Awareness month.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

These views are breathtaking! I bet you had an awesome weekend in this gorgeous weather!

Denn Mom said...

I told you there were some great parks in Connecticut! This is one I didn't find when I lived there, but I'll have to check out on a visit sometime...